This classic homemade sour cream dip with fresh herbs is easy and delicious. Perfect for chips, wedges, potatoes, nachos and just about everything else!
Why you'll love this sour cream and chive dip recipe:
- Easy to make with only six ingredients.
- Ready in just five minutes.
- Dip it with chips, wedges or sweet potato fries.
- Spoon it onto corn fritters, buffalo wings or ooey gooey nachos, drool!
- Perfect easy appetizer for game day, a party or any time you want something fresh and delicious!
Looking for a fun and easy way to serve this dip? Why not try making it to go with my skeleton veggie tray. Fun, fresh and good for you!
Sour cream: full-fat sour cream will give the best flavour. You could try this with low-fat sour cream but I haven't tested this variant. If you do and it still tastes great let me know if the comments below!
Mayonnaise: a little mayo adds some bit and flavour to this easy dip. Look for a good quality mayo if possible.
Chives: fresh chives give a great boost of flavour to this recipe. You could try with dried chives if that's all you have, but it won't have the same fresh flavour. You could also try finely chopped spring (green) onions or experiment with other green herbs such as coriander (cilantro) or parsley.
Lemon: a little fresh lemon juice adds brightness to this dip and helps thin it out to make it dippable.
Garlic salt: adds some excellent flavour. If you can't get garlic salt you could replace it with a pinch or two of regular salt and some freshly crushed garlic. Start with ½ a clove of garlic and add the rest if you want to be more garlicky.
Pepper: freshly ground pepper will give the best flavour but you could use preground instead, or even white pepper if that's all you have.
How to make sour cream dip
This dip is so quick to make, if you are serving it with vegetable crudites I suggest you prepare these first. Some delicious options include carrot sticks, celery sticks or red capsicum (bell pepper).
Slice and juice the lemon. Finely chop the chives.
Add the sour cream and mayonnaise to a mixing bowl and mix well. Add the lemon juice and cracked pepper to a mixing bowl. Reserve ½ tablespoon of chopped chives for garnish and add the rest to the bowl. Mix well and you're done!
How to serve
To serve this easy dip pop it into a serving bowl and add it to a plate with your favourite dippers! Delicious with everything from chips and potato wedges to baked potatoes and everything in between!
How to store
This dip is best eaten fresh on the day it's made, but will store in a covered container in the fridge for up to three days. If you are not serving the dip immediately keep the chives for garnish separately and add them just before serving.
Have you made this recipe? Let me know how it went in the comments below and tag me on Instagram so I can see your delicious creations! @theaussiehomecook
Recipe tips and frequently asked questions:
What to eat with sour cream dip:
This easy savoury dip goes with just about everything. Some of my favourites are:
- As a dip for chips, crisps or potato wedges.
- Slathered on hot baked potatoes.
- As a dip for sweet potato fries.
- As a side for corn fritters.
- To dip sticky buffalo wings into.
- Spooned onto warm gooey nachos.
How much dip does this recipe make?
This recipe makes about one cup of dip. This is approximately four to eight servings of dip, depending on how generous your serves are.
I'm having a party, can I double or triple the recipe?
You sure can, just make sure you have a big enough bowl to mix it in!
How far in advance can I make this dip?
This dip tastes best if eaten on the day it's made. If you are making it head for a party you can make it earlier in the day and store it in a fridge until needed. Just hold off adding the chives on top until just before serving.
How long does sour cream last in the fridge?
This dip will last in a covered container in the fridge for up to three days. If not serving immediately it's best to leave off the chive garnish and add these just before serving.
Looking for more yummy recipes?
Why not try making
Have you made this recipe?
Let me know how it went in the comments below and tag me on Instagram so I can see your delicious creations!
Sour Cream Dip
- ¾ cup (180gms) sour cream
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 large pinch black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ small bunch chives
- 1 tablespoon mayonaise
- If you are serving the dip with vegetables, chop and prepare these. Some tasty options are carrot sticks, cucumber sticks, celery sticks or red capsicum (bell pepper) sticks.
- Juice and measure the lemon juice.
- Finely chop the chives. You should have two to three tablespoons.
- Add the sour cream, lemon juice, pepper, garlic salt, most of the chopped chives and mayo to a bowl. Reseve a sprinkle of chives for garnish.
- Put into a serving bowl and garnish with reserve chopped chives. Serve immediately with your choice of dippers such as chips, crackers or veggie sticks.
- If not serving immediately do not put on the garnish, cover and store in the fridge. It will keep covered in the fridge for up to three days.
- This dip is delicious served with your choice of dippers such as chips, corn chips, pita chips, crackers or veggie sticks. It's also delicious served on baked potatoes, yum!
Join the community!
Pin it for later!